Monday, November 7, 2016

Reading Notes: Welsh Fairy Tales, Part B



· I like that the title of that tale was “Owen goes a-wooing” when that’s actually a very little part of the story. I think this story was cute, and I liked his loyalty, but I’m not sure how to do much with it.

· I don’t understand what’s wrong with getting money from fairies. Are they like demons, basically? Maybe I could write some sort of backstory as to why one ought not to take money from fairies. Also, why do they stop coming when the wife knows? Once again, could there be a back story in that?

· I like that leprechauns (or whatever they are. Fairies?) are willing to accept apologies and move on. I would like that to be a thing in my stories. Vindictive characters are no fun.

· Nooooo you can’t just grab her and not let her go!

· Hmmm I think that there seems often to be a theme of happiness and love disturbed by silly or arbitrary rules. He accidentally tossed some dirt at her, so their happy marriage had to end. Like, that’s so sad.

· Wow, I really don’t like stories that have to do with the devil or witchcraft, and I certainly won’t be writing one.

· I really like that this story involved someone coming across a beautiful maiden in the woods without being enchanted by her or wanting to marry her, but rather simply with blessing her. Maybe I should write a story about something like that.

· I could write this from the perspective of one of the women being fought over. How horrible…

· I do like stories that are basically overcoming monsters, pure and simple. I could write something rather similar to the story of Hu Gadarn, where basically they capture and chain a huge, dangerous beast.

· Ahhh I’m sad for the little dog :(



Bibliography:  The Welsh Fairy Book, by W. Jenkyn Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment