Monday, November 7, 2016

Reading Notes: Welsh Fairy Tales, Part A



· Wow! I really liked that. Perhaps I could write a tale wherein it really is time for Arthur and his warriors to come back, and destroy the enemies of the Cymry. I suppose that if I were to do that, I would need to read all the Arthur stories so I would have a solid base from which to start.

· “You must find a child born without a father, put him to death, and sprinkle with his blood the ground . . .”. It sounds like a Christ figure.

· Woah it was Merlin!! This also reminded me of Daniel and the Lion’s Den. I really like the element of justice, when the youth is spared and the guilty magicians are the ones who end up being killed (although the king is rather guilty too). I could write some about the lesser-known Arthur stories, where all kinds of cool things end up pulling everything together.

· Are you serious? “I’ll follow you, oh beautiful woman, to the ends of the earth, but first let me say goodbye to my wife.”

· Does Angharad want an explanation or anything?

· Wow, he was gone for a long time.

· I’m glad this story ended happily.

· I’m glad that the barber isn’t punished in this one. Also, I feel like one of the main ideas of this tale is that if a secret is let out, it spreads. I could write a tale with that theme. It could be turned into a warning against either vanity or gossip, or both.

· Folk tales feel so random sometimes. I don’t think I want to use the one with the cow.

· I kind of like how much of this is left a mystery. We know that the harper was saved, but not really how the devastation came about, or why he was spared, or if anyone else got away.

· “to return to the lowlands with his woolly charge.” I love that.



Bibliography:  The Welsh Fairy Book, by W. Jenkyn Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment