Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Reading Notes: King Arthur, Part A



· I love that Arthur didn’t know the significance of what he was doing. I also don’t particularly trust Kay, and am not sure how I feel about him having a high position within Arthur’s court. I could write about how Ector and his wife reacted and how odd it was when Merlin brought them Arthur. I could tell the tale of that night, almost like the opening chapter of Harry Potter.

· Wow, that is a super ominous prophecy thing. The hero is going to go about already knowing the source of his own defeat, and that things will eventually go poorly with him.

· It’s strange that it isn’t shameful for Arthur to be rescued in battle by Merlin, while Merlin casts his opponent into deep sleep. It simply isn’t what I would have expected.

· So the sword in the stone wasn’t Excalibur?

· Wow Arthur liked Guenevere because she’s beautiful but not necessarily good and Merlin says as much but then is like “Oh well. You like her, so it’s not to be helped and you have to marry her.” That’s so foolish.

· Haha I could write a satire where there are 150 knights at the round table (which is how many it fits) and they try to have conversations but can’t hear each other, because come one. One circular table seating 150 people is a bad idea acoustically.

· This isn’t an original idea (I know C. S. Lewis did it, and maybe Ursula LeGuin or whatever her name is), but I could write about someone finding Merlin. It seems as though he wouldn’t die, but merely go on, buried.

· Wow, maybe it’s the music I’m listening to, but the story of the dream of the young man who was to accompany Arthur was very eerie. I kind of like all the creepy imagery, with the church in the graveyard.

(The Drawing of the Sword, by H. J. Ford)


Bibliography:  King Arthur: Tales of the Round Table, by Andrew Lang

No comments:

Post a Comment