Monday, October 31, 2016

Reading Notes: Celtic Fairy Tales, Part B


· I feel like this is dialect done well.

· I’m feeling as though I should have heard of saint Kavin (Kevin?) before now . . .

· One possible theme: honesty is rewarded.

· Ahhh I’m so sad that the goose died shortly after! Also, why couldn’t Saint Kavin just restore the king, instead of (or in addition to) the goose?

· I don’t understand the part about the giant at the beginning. What did he have to do with anything?

· So, if I write a story based on a Celtic fairy tale, death need not be permanent. Also, wow. I’m struck by how cruel Yellow Face is. Like, the bad guy is really bad.

· AHHH OH MY GOSH I’M SO UPSET.

· Basically, I could write a story about anyone or anything being falsely accused and punished for something, when they have actually done a good deed.

· I kind of like this story as it is, and wouldn’t really want to modernize it or anything. Maybe I won’t use it, because I already like (/hate because it makes me so upset) it so much.

· I like how this story took proverbs and adages (I assume these would all have been well known) and had the protagonist use them in real situations, and be rewarded for it. I wonder if I could choose three more maxims to have come up in an adventure? That could be fun.

· Once again, stating the obvious is wonderful. “Well, it was odd that here he should be in a thick wood he had never set eyes upon, turning Patrick Rooney upon a spit.”

· I like that twist: the tale just ended with him having been asleep.

· It seems as though these tales may be ending happily more often than some others.


Bibliography:  Celtic Fairy Tales, by Joseph Jacobs

No comments:

Post a Comment