Monday, October 31, 2016

Reading Notes: Celtic Fairy Tales, Part A


· I like the relationship between the father’s name and the son’s name: Conn and Connla.

· The first story (Connla and the Fairy Maiden) pits different sorts of longings against one another. I feel like the overall theme has to do with the joy and closeness of home and family, versus unknown, bright and promising splendors far off.

· This has a lot of dialogue. I should work on incorporating more dialogue.

· It doesn’t seem right to steal the leprechaun’s gold L.

· What if I told a tale that made everyone feel bad for the leprechauns?

· What if instead he got back and the garter was still there, but the leprechaun had dug up the gold?

· The tale of the witches was strange, and I didn’t particularly like it. What if instead they were playground bullies? The principle thing seems to be wicked people who are bested.

· The next tale was about the maiden from the lake. It’s quite sad. I could make it about a dating relationship. I could switch it so he would kick her out if she hit him three times. I could also switch it up and tell it from the perspective of one of her sons. Ooh! I could make it into a bedtime story, where she’s tucking in one of her kids and telling the story to one of her kids, after two blows have been struck. The kid could be super confused, or not realize that it’s about his own parents.

· I like this story of him completing such a frightening task! I think my favorite elements were his courage and his sass (“I see those, but I’ll sew this!”), so I would love to write up heroes that possess similar qualities.

· I love the quips! “If they were alive now, they would not be alive then.”

· I don’t understand the logic behind all of these.

· The idea of filling a sieve with water seems to come up a lot. It reminds me of the Celtic song “Scarborough Fair”.

· Wow. What a twist.

· I feel bad for the second wife… she’s doomed to always be second favorite.


Bibliography: Celtic Fairy Tales, by Joseph Jacobs

No comments:

Post a Comment