Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Story: The Son of the King



Once upon a time, in a land where winters are bitter and summers are sweet, there were two little kingdoms. For as long as Rey could remember, and for almost as long as his mother Reyna could remember, they had been at war. The village in which Rey lived was perpetually short on menfolk, with fathers and husbands off doing noble deeds on the front lines, but that night was different. That night there were many men home on leave, and there was feasting and merriment in the square.

Skryta and Rey sat mesmerized for many an hour near the great bonfire in the midst of the celebrations, listening to glorious stories of battle. Ridder, Skryta’s father, was a strong and brave man. His companions seemed to have story after story of his prowess and great leadership, and only rumors of the valiant king outshone his tales.

Skryta was filled with pride over his masterful father, and could speak of nothing else over the following days and weeks. He was ever recounting and embellishing stories, until finally Rey grew weary and spoke his mind.

“We’ve heard of this escapade before. Mother and I recently received news of my father’s deeds. Shall I tell you?”

Skryta, having never heard Rey talk about his father, nodded eagerly, and Rey spoke of courageous acts and mighty strength. However, Skyrta, knowing the stories, scorned him. “Rey, it is the king you are speaking of, not your father. Just because your father’s not a great knight, there is no need to lie to me.”

Rey was stung. He exclaimed, “I wasn’t lying! My father is our good king!”

But Skryta gave him a withering look, and said, “No he’s not, you liar. I’m going to go home to see if we’ve received any news from the front.” And he ran off.

Rey watched him dejectedly, and then went to find his mother. He found her behind the cottage, hanging linens on a line.

Reyna smiled cheerily at her son, and then caught his expression. She turned back to her work and asked “What’s wrong, dear one?”

“Mother, would you ever lie to me?”

She looked at him surprised. “Never in my life, Rey.”

“Then why would you tell me that the king is my father, when it can’t be true?” he asked.

“Now why on earth would it not be the truth? You’ve never doubted me before. I would swear on whatever you ask me to that you are his son,” she replied.

He studied the ground, unsatisfied. “I want him to tell me, so that all my friends may see.”

She looked hard at him before replying, “Then go. You are old enough. When he comes to the castle for rest, ask him yourself.”

And so he went.

Rey joined the other peasants who sought audiences with the king, to seek redress for their grievances or to present gifts. However, Rey was not greeted like the other peasants. When the good king saw him, he left his throne and embraced him with paternal affection. “My son! My heart is warmed at the sight of you. You have taken after your beautiful mother. I am so glad that you have come. What can I do for you?”

And so Rey’s fears were assuaged, but Skryta would not believe him, and he had to prove his lineage somehow. He asked “My father, will you give me a gift?”

“What ever you ask, my son!” the king replied. “I swear by the heavens and the earth I will not keep it from you.”

“My friends do not believe that my father is valiant. Let me ride with you to battle, that they may know that I am indeed your son!”

The king’s smile faded. “I cannot retract my oath, but I wish I could. Hasn’t your mother spoken to you of your danger? I do not wish people to know of my wife and my son, for there may be spies among us. I would not have you hurt, or taken for ransom. What is more, I ride into the hottest parts of the fray! It would not do for you to come with me. It would endanger you, and every man near you.”

But Rey responded, “This is my request. Will you deny me?”

His troubled father answered, “I will not. We are returning to the fields tomorrow at dawn.”

(Drawing of a Knight on Horseback, by Randolph Caldecott)

And the next day they rode to battle. Rey was given armor, and a place of honor near his father’s charger, and saw the remarkable deeds of his father, and of Ridder, and of many other brave knights.  He even used his own sword once or twice, though not as often as he would have wished. But the king was a man of foresight, and as evening fell Rey grew too brave for his youth and inexperience, and followed his father too closely into great danger.  He was weary from a day's hard labor, and there Rey fell, unable to match the deeds of the knights around him.

The news was swiftly sent to the village, and many mourned for this foolish son of a king.


The end.



Author's Note:  This story was based on the tale of Phaethon and Apollo.  Phaethon is Apollo's son, and wishes to prove so to his friends.  He visits Apollo and extracts a promise that he will be granted any wish, then requests to drive the chariot of the sun for a day.  Apollo reluctantly acquiesces, but the youth cannot control it and catches parts of the earth on fire, and is killed.  It's a sad story.  I wanted to take all of the basic elements, but transfer them to a different setting, such as a king in wartime.  It's still about a boy trying to earn glory and prove himself to his friends, and causing great harm as a result.

Bibliography:  Ovid's Metamorphoses, translated by Tony Kline.

4 comments:

  1. It was so creative to take the original story and make it into something newer but not modern day. I feel as though these stories are to teach children that their parents aren’t lying when they say something is dangerous and not worth the end result. I enjoyed reading this story! I was able to see the story vividly. You did a great job being descriptive. I feel like stories like this, it is usually the king’s character that is killed and the son’s character is very sad and guilty. But I like how you kept it in line with the original story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you really changed this story. I was familiar with the original one but I didn't recognize it until you mentioned it in the author's note and then I could see the resemblances. I think it's pretty cool that you took the general idea and themes of the story and made a completely new one. It reminds me of how stories from one culture get passed on to new cultures and those cultures change it to make it more relatable. We don't exactly live in feudal times but I think the era of kings and queens is familiar cause that's where a lot of our old stories take place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ended up doing the same section of the Metamorphoses for this section of readings, and this story stuck out to me too—it really was a sad one. Just like in the original story, it was a little frustrating to watch Rey insist on the dangerous favor, but I was also too busy sympathizing with him to blame him too much. It would be insanely hard for a young boy to grow up without a dad, especially in a setting like this, and including the early scene with the fathers temporarily returning from battle was a really clever way to plant that issue at the forefront of readers’ minds. I connected to the characters here a lot more than I did in the original version, too, so I really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Maria, you did a great job writing your story. I really enjoy reading anything that has to do with gods or goddesses. I remember first reading this story and I couldn't help feel bad for the boy even though he was the only one to blame for his death. I felt the same way with Rey when I read your story.

    ReplyDelete