Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Reading Notes: Ovid's Metamorphoses, Part B



· Hey look. Hera punished Tiresias for something that wasn’t his fault. Who’s surprised?

· There is literally so much rape in Greek mythology. Like, I used to read Greek myths all the time for fun when I was little, but they must have been super censored storybooks, or I just didn’t get it. This isn’t particularly a note for what I want to write about, because I don’t particularly want to write about rape.

· Actually, just everyone is lusting after everyone else all the time.

· Basically, I could write any story involving lust and vindictive characters, and say it’s modeled after the themes of Greek myths a whole.

· I could write about someone who gets caught up in himself, though in a different way than Narcissus. It would be an unpleasant story to write, though.

· Are the naiads and the dryads lamenting Narcissus, or his beauty? I could write about a funeral in which it’s painfully obvious that the mourners are weeping for certain qualities in the person who died without mourning for the person himself.

· One of the great tools used in the story of Pyramus and Thisbe is the dramatic irony (i.e., you know she’s alive but he doesn’t). How could I write a slightly less dramatic version of a great failure at communication? Maybe two people were going to go on vacation somewhere, but one thought that the other missed a plane, so they missed their plane, etc.?

· If I want to base something off the story of Mercury and Venus I could tell of two people being caught and then someone makes a snarky comment at the end and no on is deterred from the misdeed in the future.

· I’m annoyed at Perseus for not offering to rescue innocent Andromeda whether or not her parents agree to let him marry her.

· Oh, look, Medusa was raped by a god then punished for it. I wouldn’t have guessed.



No comments:

Post a Comment