Monday, September 12, 2016

Reading Notes: Twenty-Two Goblins, Part A



· A theme in the first riddle is the difference between the love of a father, the love of a son, and the love of a lover. That could be usable in some sort of modernization or something.

· Also, there’s the theme that “Great-minded people do not waver until they have kept their promises, even at the cost of life.” I like that.

· The three suitors thing happened again (both times based solely on her looks).

· In fact, everyone’s falling in love over looks.

· I love the sentence “She robbed the moon of its beauty and White of his heart.”

· Wow, I’m so annoyed at the husband and brother. It was almost going to be Romeo and Juliette-esque, but then it was just silly instead. Or at least it was stupid of the husband. The brother is slightly more understandable.

· The older brother is trying to push the unpleasant task onto his younger brothers.

· These seem like really arbitrary specialties. I could update it and just have some random skills that they have and are fighting over. I feel like these specialties are actually curses, not blessings.

· The king things the cotton guy is cleverest. That makes no sense! Having sensitive skin is not the same as being clever!

· Huh… Grace would be embarrassed to have to choose a suitor herself, rather than her father marrying her off. That’s interesting. I wonder if I could use it.

· These stories seem to value strength and bravery over other merits.

· I could also update the story of the three delicate wives (although I might change it from wives to daughters). How could they be super sensitive nowadays? And would that be ok, or just super inconvenient?

· Alternatively, I could choose one of the sensitive wives and tell a story from her perspective. Like “A Day in the Life of Someone Who Can’t Breathe Without being Injured.”


Bibliography:  Twenty-Two Goblins, translated by Arthur Ryder

No comments:

Post a Comment