Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Reading Notes: Twenty-Two Goblins, Part B

· One of Hariswami’s first thoughts when he sees that his wife is missing is to wonder if she’s mad at him. If I were to use a story based on this story, I wonder if I could use that in a humorous way. Or play up tensions in a relationship.

· Wow, this dude is really messed up over the fact that his wife is missing (understandable).

· The charitable woman is great. What if I wrote this story and made her into a little girl or something resembling innocence or something?

· Hmm and then she’s falsely accused. That could continue to go with the innocence thing.

· I’d rather do something to make it funny, though.

· But no matter what, if it ends in someone innocent being blamed, it’ll make me sad. So maybe I shouldn’t use this story, because I don’t want to write a sad story two weeks in a row.

· So Pearl really doesn’t want to get married, but a bunch of people want to marry her. Could I turn that into some other sort of not wanting something?

· The king goes to the house of the thief by pretending to be a thief

· Oh, good. Pearl fell in love with the guy.

· Then she was going to kill herself with him, so a god offered her a boon, and she chose to make him live. This is so weird. What if she was a really good dancer, but wouldn’t enter a dance competition with anyone except this guy she liked who got himself banned from the competition, and she got him back in? Or something like that?

· Also, just because she likes him people start calling her his wife. Shouldn’t he get some say?

· Wow! The king was faithful! That makes me so happy.

· Could I write a different story with the moral “if fate opposed, even a virtue that has been painfully acquired does not profit, but rather injures.”



Bibliography:  Twenty-Two Goblins, translated by Arthur Ryder

No comments:

Post a Comment