Thursday, September 15, 2016

Reading Notes: Turkish Fairy Tales, Part A



· I really like this idea: That the boy is looking for fear but cannot find it. Can I tell a story with a different quality substituted? Like, someone is looking for selfishness, or shame, or pride, or weakness? Or, perhaps, I could turn the story on its head, and have someone looking for courage and unable to come across it, no matter the circumstance?

· Ooooh I could tell a similar story, but the youth could end up being afraid of the maidens because they’re so beautiful.

· … He ended up being afraid when a bird in his soup startled him. That was kind of a let down, to be honest. I like my idea better. Or he could have been afraid of the responsibility of being Shah.

· A lot of Middle Eastern stories seem to emphasis the big deal of having children (and especially a son). Could I use this?

· Wow, I’m left super curious about what the dervish wanted to know if the youth knew.

· I don’t really feel like this story was resolved. Maybe I can just write a story where stuff happens and there’s not really a conclusion…

· There seems to be a theme of animals turning into maidens. I could roll with that. Or, maybe, I could tell a story about animals where humans are just kind of milling around, doing their thing, but then a maiden turns into a fish or something, and another fish falls in love with her. Basically, maybe I could flip the story inside out.

· Why do these sons never know their father’s occupations?

· I feel sad for the Peri queen and her little bird L.

· What if the Peri didn’t want to marry the Padishah? I don’t particularly like the Padishah.

· I could definitely use the theme of the jealous friend.


Bibliography:  Forty-Four Turkish Fairy Tales, by Ignacz Kunos

No comments:

Post a Comment