Monday, November 14, 2016

Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm (Crane), Part A


· So I feel like the main theme so far in The Fisherman and His Wife has had to do with the idea of someone convincing someone else to do something that they really ought not to. For some reason, a detail that really stood out to me was the fact that the fish bled, and that the sea turned a different color. That may be significant enough that I can use it in some way.

· The other theme is the consuming nature of greed. It’s never satisfied; it wants a little more, and a little more, and a little more. That’s something I could easily use in a story about a small child (or anyone I suppose).

· I don’t yet know how this story will end, but it all seems so foreboding that perhaps I could have the man wake up at some point and discover that it was only a bad dream, then he goes and catches fish and none of them talk and he is relieved.

· Great quote: “she was as far as ever form being contented.”

· So it ends with them being in the exact same position, except that she is less content than ever (I assume).

· I like that the story starts off with giving her mother personality.

· Why lentils in ashes? Like, why is that a theme?

· I like the fact that this is like one of the original heroine singing to small animals for help tales.

· Wow, the prince is a tad creepy. What if she didn’t want quite such undivided attention? Maybe I could rewrite this so she gets kind of annoyed and freaked out.

· Also, I’m super annoyed that the prince didn’t recognize her when she put her rags back on. Maybe if she had been wearing a mask or something…

· Eww I wouldn’t ever want to touch that shoe again.

· Wait so does the father not really love Aschenputtel in this (the original) version?

· Wow, man. These stories are vindictive.


Bibliography:  Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm, by Lucy and Walter Crane.

No comments:

Post a Comment