Monday, September 19, 2016

Reading Notes: The Ramayana, Part A


· I’m not sure how I feel about this, but I could actually just tell the story of how Valmiki invented poetry. Oooh! Actually, I could write a lament for the heron! I like that idea. Poetry is fun.

· What if they just prayed and the gods were merciful, instead of doing a fancy schmancy ceremony?

· Or, what if I wrote a story about the gods, leaving out humans entirely. They’re basically beefed up humans and in need of being saved, so why not?

· Aww I liked the story about baby Rama. I could make that (where he wants the moon and is eventually given a mirror) into a cute little tale.

· Haha I love how nonchalantly this says things. They began with the alphabet, “then they studied grammar, and at length they mastered eighteen languages.” Casual.

· Rama is slaying lots of demons. I’m curious as to the differences between the gods and the demons. I don’t really understand yet.

· Does Rama know he’s Vishnu?

· Did he mean to break the bow? What if I write a story where he only meant to bend and string it, then is horribly embarrassed when he breaks it, and is embarrassed during the wedding ceremony, and just keeps being embarrassed?

· Manthara is super pessimistic (because she hates Rama). So many troubles come from having multiple wives. How could I use that idea in a story?

· Does granting a boon mean he has to do literally whatever she asks?

· I could write a story from the point of view of Bhatara when he learns what his mother has done. He may either be really happy or really upset. Edit: he’s really upset.

· I do like Rama. He’s a man of his word.

· What if I did a gender swap, where Sita is banished by a rival somehow, and Rama goes with her to the jungle?


Bibliography:  The Ramayana, retold by Donald Mackenzie and found in Indian Myth and Legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment