Saturday, September 17, 2016

Feedback Focus

Honestly, I don’t think that I’m incredibly likely to use any of these strategies heavily in the future.  I don’t know that any of them helped me to comprehend the story overly much, and they definitely affected my reading in different ways than I expected.

I think that reading out loud is the most likely to be useful to me.  There are two very real disadvantages.  The first is that it’s far more convenient to do alone.  I had to leave the room where I’m studying with friends in order to do it, and that’s not always practical.  The other problem was that sometimes when I read out loud it takes me a while to adjust before I pay attention to the story.  I’m thinking too much about reading well at first.  However, I know that sometimes when I’m having trouble focusing on something, reading it slowly out loud REALLY helps.  This wasn’t great for me this time, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be a useful skill in the future.

I think the second most likely to be useful is the one where you focus for ten minutes.  This has the advantage of, you know, keeping you focused and probably forcing you to read it twice.  However, I don’t think I’m likely to use it.  College students seem to be perpetually busy, so the idea of allotting more time to something than it actually takes feels improbable.  Also, I really enjoyed reading the story through the first time, and felt very bored the second time.

I don’t think I’ll ever use the other strategy.  It interrupted the flow of the story too much for my taste, and I think it actually detracted from my understanding of the story.  I hadn’t realized how often I look back at what I’ve already read until I couldn’t anymore.  I would want to check to make sure I was remembering a detail correctly, but the paragraph that it was in would be gone.  It was frustrating.


Personally, I tend to just like reading a story through, slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment