Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Favorite Place: The Pennsylvania Forests

One area immediately jumps to my mind as my favorite place: the wooded hills and valleys of Pennsylvania.  Out there the trees are large and ubiquitous.  Forests are the default setting of the land.  I'm from small town, Pennsylvania, so it's what I think a country ought to look like, and even googling for images made my heart sing.  It's so lovely.  This might be a fairly standard view for anyone traveling any reasonable distance through the country.


(Image: Courtesy Pa. DCNR.  Source: PA DCNR)


Furthermore, within the woods of Pennsylvania there are many little rivers, lined with boulders.  These pictures are from a place only about half an hour from where I live.


(Slippery Rock Creek III by JBaronsStudios.  Source: World Wide Elevation Map Finder)

(Photo Credit: Jason Pratt.  Source: Attractions in PA)


It's all green and wonderful.

(Courtesy PA DCNR.  Source: PA DCNR)

The photos don't begin to do it justice

4 comments:

  1. What a great post, Maria! When I think of Pennsylvania, I think of the cities first, but of course "sylva" (Latin for forest) is already part of the name itself... but I never even noticed that before. I can file that under my "learn something new every day file" — thank you! And I know what you mean about how pictures don't always show what you want people to see, but I think that first picture especially is wonderful: it really looks like a land of endless forests. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One of my favorite fun facts about Pennsylvania is actually that the name means "Penn's woods" (as in William Penn), which just describes the place so beautifully.

      Delete
  2. Maria, I thought your favorite place in Pennsylvania looked really scenic and peaceful. I myself have never been to Pennsylvania, but I have friends who say it is a beautiful place with many great outdoors sights. I'm an avid outdoorsman and appreciate nature's great beauty and often breath taking experiences. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, I thought your favorite place in Pennsylvania looked really scenic and peaceful. I myself have never been to Pennsylvania, but I have friends who say it is a beautiful place with many great outdoors sights. I'm an avid outdoorsman and appreciate nature's great beauty and often breath taking experiences. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete