Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Improvements

Well, the first option for changing up the class that stands out to me is the one about expanding the story planning option.  I think that it sounds very helpful.  I didn't really take much advantage of the Story Planning option this semester, but when I did I used it to plan for my storybook... whoops.  I might have ended up with more stories in my Storybook if I had done this more often... It sounds very useful to just be able to take some extra time to brainstorm about where you want your story to go.  It can be a lot of work to go through possible stories, and decide what you want!  I don't know that any resources particularly come to mind about helping with the planning process...  There is only one thing, and it may not quite fit in this category, but I don't know where else it would go.  I found it helpful when I was doing extra reading to take my notes on something other than the story itself.  Instead of thinking about the story as something that I was likely to write a tale based off of, I noticed and took notes on different techniques that the author used that I enjoyed.  I wrote about his or her writing style, and I think it helped me to find my own voice.  Can that become a legitimate planning exercise, or something that we're allowed to focus on in reading notes, or something like that?
I also like the idea of thematic reading units.  That's how I tend to group stories in my head.  However, one potential downfall of that is that it wouldn't force students out of their comfort zone.  I know that my favorites are the Celtic, English, and generally European tales.  Hey, it's my cultural heritage!  However, I know that if the reading units had been arranged thematically I may have been tempted to almost always choose the European option, rather than getting to know the folklore of other cultures, which is definitely a valuable result of this class.
The idea of audio recordings or tutorial videos sounds great, but I'm honestly not sure that I would have taken advantage of them at all.  Especially, I think that personally I would have found it difficult to take notes on audio recordings (because I'm a visual learner), but that could be great for an auditory learner!

Laura, thank you for all of your hard work to improve this class.  I have been consistently impressed by the resources you've provided and your knowledge on the subject.  You've been so encouraging, and I've really enjoyed learning from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment