Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Story Planning: Jack and the Beanstalk

This is a story planning post, preparing to write a new story for my storybook.  I’m going to mostly be doing research on what story I want to use, and what are some ways I could shake that story up.

·      The Ass, the Table and the Stick
o   This has the folkloric 3, which I like, and isn’t likely to be a familiar story.
o   I would probably want to change the end, because I don’t like it and I want to like Jack.
o   It’s a good length.  It only needs to be shortened a bit.
·      Little Jack Horner
o   I honestly have no ideas at the moment of how to expand this, but they may come eventually.  Or I could combine a couple of the nursery rhymes.
·      Jack Madden (The Legend of Knockgrafton)
o   I’m not sure whether I could use this, because it ends with him dying…
o   But it might be good to have a story where Jack isn’t really clever?
o   But it wouldn’t fit the introduction very well.
·      The Earl of Cattenborough
o   Oooh I did like this one.  It’s unfamiliar, and involves cleverness.  However, this time it’s on the part of the cat, not Jack himself.  I’m not sure if I like that, or if I would prefer to try and make it so that he’s contributing more.  I did say earlier that Jacks are clever.  Also, it may end up being too similar to the first story I told.
·      Jack and Jill
o   Same as Jack Horner
·      Jack Sprat
o   Same again.
·      Jack Be Nimble
o   And again
·      Jack and the Beanstalk
o   (Note: ) This one isn’t in the untextbook, but I’m sure that I could find a nice version to follow online.  Or, I suppose I could potentially go from memory, and really make it my own.  This story would add an element of fantasy that the others really don’t have.


Bibliography:  These resources are from doing a search on the name Jack in the untextbook, found here.  It includes stories (of the above names) rewritten by Joseph Jacobs and Andrew Lang (and others, but those were the ones I might use).

No comments:

Post a Comment