Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm (Crane), Part B



· Hmmm this story starts off so sad:(. What if the king had refused the old woman? What if his wife wasn’t dead? Also, how on earth did he conceal from his wife that he had children? That can’t exactly have been a secret beforehand? What if I tweaked this story so that she turned them into a different type of animal?

· I fell like there are rather a lot of tales that involve evil stepmothers turning some or all of their stepchildren into swans.

· How do they already know how the swan curse works when they’ve been under it for like a day?

· I hate that she gets absolutely no say in marrying the king. Also, why can’t she write to people? Isn’t that an easy way to communicate without breaking the deal?

· Wow, it’s really gross that she smeared blood on her mouth.

· I don’t understand why she didn’t somehow mess things up when she cried out in excitement when she saw her brothers flying towards her when she was about to be killed. What if that had ruined everything? I could write about that.

· Although I suppose that if crying out was against the rules, giving birth would have been particularly difficult.

· I enjoy the fact that this was written with some rhyming. That would be a fun thing to incorporate.

· I feel bad for the beggar man. What if he didn’t want to marry her? She doesn’t seem like a pleasant person to be married to.

· Wait why on earth did he still want to marry her? Literally her only good quality was that she was beautiful. I’m annoyed. What if I changed this story so that she learned her lesson, and then lived happily ever after as a beggar, content? She still didn’t seem content, even if she was humbled.

· Why would he say that she would never again touch a spinning wheel if one of the things that he liked about her was her industry?

Bibliography:  Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm, by Lucy and Walter Crane

No comments:

Post a Comment